Is your Ford Focus Radio not working? The display only shows settings and no radio options are shown.
Radio not working is a common issue in the Ford Focus model from 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and onwards.
This article is a complete guide for easy troubleshooting which can save you time and money.
It also provides step-by-step solutions, including resetting the system, checking and replacing the fuse, and considering radio replacement if necessary.
Table of Contents
Why is Ford Focus Radio Radio not working
- Freezes or Glitches: The radio is like a computer that can freeze or glitch due to bugs which makes it unusable. These can be from corrupted data, insufficient memory, or software bug.
- Burned Radio Fuse: The radio in a Ford Focus is protected by a fuse in the car’s fuse box. If the radio fuse burns out due to an electrical overload or a short circuit, the radio will stop functioning until the fuse is replaced.
- Defective Radio Box: Sometimes, the radio unit itself may be defective. Internal hardware failures or manufacturing defects can cause the radio to stop working correctly.
- Malfunction Due to Extreme Temperatures: Although it’s rare extreme cold or hot weather can affect the radio system internally making it defective.
- Other Issues: Antena or speaker disconnected, wire harness issue can also cause radio system to not work.
How to Fix Ford Focus Radio
These are the common fixes that helped many Ford Focus users set up their vehicles.
Reset the System:
By resetting I mean removing the battery power of the car by removing negative or positive terminal and leaving it for 30 minutes.
This will remove any glitches or bugs which will reset the system and hopefully, the radio will start working.
This reset has worked for many users and it fixed the radio problem.
Check and Replace the Fuse:
It sounds difficult but it is the easiest process. Firstly you need to check the fuse if it is burned or not.
If the fuse is not burned then you are good. otherwise, you need to replace the fuse by buying a replacement.
- Go Under the Glove Box and you will see the Plastic holders.
- Pinch the plastic holders.
- Check the fuse numbers for the radio in the Ford Focus User manual.
you can also download a user manual from the internet for your Ford focus.
4. For My Car the Fuse Numbers Were. 79, 86,88,69.
- The right side is good and the left is burned. If the fuse is burned you need to change it.
Hope this fixes the issue and you are good to go.
If the fuse blows up again it might be some problems with the wire or the Radio box which need replacement.
Consider Radio Replacement
If all the troubleshooting steps fail to bring the radio back to life, and it’s confirmed that the issue lies within the radio unit, replacement might be the best option.
Replacing the radio is an easy process and works for many users as the radio box is defective.
You can buy a replacement from eBay or other sites just type in Google “replacement for radio ford focus 2012”.
Requirements For Replacement:
- T25 Screwdriver.
- Radio Box Replacement
Steps to Replace The Radio.
- Under the console, you would find two T25 screws. Unscrew Them.
2. Push it Out Ward the Console and it will pop open.
- Unplug the console wire connection.
- Remove the two More T25 screws.
- Slide Out the Radio Box and unplug the connections.
- Replace With Replacement Radio and make the all connections.
- Start the car and check the radio box if it’s working. if the radio is working. repeat the process and you are good to go.
When experiencing radio issues with your Ford Focus, it’s essential to perform systematic troubleshooting to identify and address the underlying problem.
From simple fixes like resetting the system and checking/replacing the fuse to more involved solutions such as radio box replacement, there are various ways to potentially resolve the issue.
These are the steps that Car dealers take when you bring them a radio problem. So if you can do this easy DIY you can save $1000 of bucks.